The silk weaving factory in Mysore, presently owned by KSIC, was established in the year 1912 by the Maharaja of Mysore province, Naalwadi Krishnaraj Wadiar. Initially the silk fabrics were manufactured & supplied to meet the requirements of the royal family and ornamental fabrics to their armed forces. In the initial period the looms and preparatory machines were imported from Switzerland. After India gained Independence the Mysore state Sericulture Dept. took control of the silk weaving factory. In 1980 the Silk weaving factory was handed over to Karnataka Silk Industries Corporation Ltd., a Govt. of Karnataka enterprise and is popularly known as KSIC. KSIC is the only organization in the country commanding the entire gamut of silk production right from reeling of cocoons to the weaving of pure silk fabric of various shades and designs, all under one roof. KSIC uses only high quality pure natural silk and 100% pure gold zari.
For more details: http://www.dsource.in/resource/mysore-silk