Nandgiri is one of the Atishay kshetra of Digambar Jain religion. Giri stands for mountain. Jain king Nand was the owner of this giri. It was built by the Shilahar King Bhoj II in early 13th century. The Shilahar Empire was follower of Jainism. King Bhoj II was follower of Jain Acharya Maghnandi who was his spiritual and political Guru.
As per Jain Gyan Kosh, Nandgiri is also called as Nandgad, Kalyangad and Parshwanath Mountain. This hill is 3537 feet above sea level, situated in satara district. Jain dharma’s 23rd Tirthankar Bhagvan Parswanath’s idol is situated in one side of cave. The entrance of cave is too small. One has to bend down to enter. The cave is huge within filled up with water all the time though most of the times this place is under famine. People believe that this is because of divine miracle. There is darkness in this cave so one has to carry torch or candle for light. The length of the cave is around 2100 feet in diameter. In 1930, Shri. Hirachand Shaha constructed a railing in the cave, which helps us to reach to the idol. Water constantly drips on the idol and its surrounding. The idol and nearby place is enclosed with iron to protect them. Shri 1008 Parshwanath Digambar Jain Gumpha Mandir Trust is developing this holy place