'New Post Box Design - For Indian Postal Service'
New Letter Box - Overall Features:
• A futuristic elegant letter box made of stainless steel body has been designed with an attractive red beak like top with an aperture for the letters to be dropped. It also has space at the bottom to enable user to rest the letter and push it inside.
• The letter box, with an increased capacity due to its square cross-section can be mounted quickly on foundation bolts placed in advance in concrete.
• While the top cover enveloping the body on all the sides prevented ingress of rainwater, the slopes on the top of the box drains out the rainwater. It is mounted on a base, so that the overhang can be used by the postman to place his bag and collect the letters easily. A wide opening to accommodate large envelopes, simple time slider, flat top surface which can be used for writing, common key to open all letter boxes in one region are some of the additional features.
Advantages to India Post:
• Projects a strong retail visual identity for India Post and enhances its image.
• Letter box’s modern and elegant look will encourage industries to advertise on them and generates revenue for India Post.
• Maintenance free.
• Longer Lifespan – Will last for over 20 years, five times the life of present boxes.
• Easy for postmen to collect letter.
• Easy to install.
• Common lock for all letter boxes in one region.
User - Friendly Features:
• Easy to post letters
• Convenient to post large envelopes
• Can use the top surface for writing
• The letter boxes were manufactured using High-end CNC machines to ensure excellent surfaces and high quality. High quality brush finished stainless steel from M/s. Jindal Stainless Ltd., for long lasting finish and durability of letter box body.
• Engineering plastics from GE plastics for letter box top to provide toughness and strength.
• Rust proof locks from Godrej for long and durable use.
Costs and Revenue:
The cost of manufacturing the box is relatively higher than the present mild steel letter box. But the new stainless steel boxes will last longer and the postal authorities will save on the replacement costs as it will need no maintenance. The ample space on the sides can be used for commercials and the advertising revenue thus generated will also offset the higher cost.
Prof. Chakravarthy funded the pilot project up to the prototype stage and the postal authorities provided the manufacturing cost.
India Post approved the design and placed a pilot order with IIT for manufacture of 200 letter boxes, have been installed now. The new letter box was launched on 18th October 2005 at Le Meridien, Delhi. The 30 test letter boxes installed earlier in Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and Patna have been a success as evinced by the feedback received by India Post’s corporate communication group.
Packaging and Transportation:
When the letterbox is dismantled it is designed in such a way that the base of the letterbox enters the main body and the top fits inside as shown in the image on the left. This reduces the volume of the letterbox, thus reducing the cost of transportation. This also helps in protecting the plastic top during transit.
Post Box Features:
• Strong Visual Identity
• Longer Lifespan
• Easy for Postmen to Collect Letters
• Easy to install and Maintenance free
Post Box Downloads:
• Post Box Design Case Study - pdf