Students were given the overall theme 'Reality and Illusion' and were encouraged to creatively interpret the theme to seek design directions using multi-media of their choice.
Reality and Illusion – My personal interpretation:
• Throughout history, people have had difficulty in distinguishing reality from illusion.
• Reality is what happens, whereas illusion is what we would like to happen. Wishful thinking is a well-worn expression.
• The world we experience and the life we live are the reflection of our thoughts.
• The mind creates a world of illusion.
• By changing our thoughts, we change the illusion and experience a different reality. We do not create a world, only an illusion that looks real. No unusual power is involved here.
• We are living in Maya and are changing the Maya. Everything is in the mind.
Based on these thoughts I chose to explore the domain of 'Performance Design' as it offered creative possibilities of interpretation of the theme using the elements of space, sound, movement and enactment.