The 'Auto‐Rickshaw' has established a name for itself as a functional and relatively comfortable mode of transport for almost two decades. It provides an efficient means of commuting over short distances such as in cities or towns.
The very construction and the mode of operation of the three passenger auto‐rickshaw have rendered it very useful in developing countries where low cost transportation is an important need of the economy.
Inspite of this, its design has undergone very few changes and it has been subject to vast and sometimes outrageous modifications by owners to suit their taste and need. Also, the monopoly associated with autorickshaw manufacture has made newer designs and improvements very slow in arriving.
This project attempts to design a passenger auto‐rickshaw. It aims at designing an auto‐rickshaw which will provide a higher level of comfort, superior technology; safety and a fresh new look, thus proving to be a strong competitor to the existing one. Due to the vast nature of the overall project, the scope of the project is 'Design of the Exterior' with close co‐ordination with 'Interior Design'.
- Design for manufacture: Sheet metal body + Soft top
- Maximum passenger space
- A small van like body
- Features of higher end vehicles
- Detachable components
Design Brief is the result of:
- The Project Scope and Product Brief
- Interaction with Company engineers, designers and marketing personnel
- Auto rickshaw owners/ drivers, passengers
- People using bus, taxi and two wheelers as transport
- Existing product study
. Product Survey
. Product Analysis
Case Study Downloads:
• Design of the Exterior for a Three Passenger Auto-rickshaw - pdf