Over time, the study of nature inspired innovation has grown into many different domains. Some of the terms related to the study of Nature Inspired Design are highlighted below and they show the different approaches to its study.
• Bionic – A term coined by Jack E. Steele in 1960 who defined is as the science of constructing systems with some functions copied from nature  .
• Biomimetic – Otto Schmitt in 1969 introduced the term biomimetic. It is referred to as the study of biological mechanisms, structures and materials to produce products artificially  .
• Biomimicry – A new science that studies nature's models and then imitates or takes inspiration from these designs and processes to solve human problems .
• Biologically Inspired Design – Looks at the use of designs found in nature for analogy and inspiration in designing technological systems .
• Biomorphism – It refers to an art movement having its roots associated with Surrealism and Art Nouveau. The word ‘biomorphic’ is commonly used for abstract, free form and organic shapes used in arts and design .