Following are the tools and raw materials required for Art Plate Making:
• Metal: Metal is the chief material that is used for making Thanjavur art plates.
• Hammer: Hammer is used for fixing the metal relief sheets.
• Pincers: Pincers are used while fixing the relief sheets to the base sheet.
• Moulds: Moulds are used for creating impressions on the metal sheets.
• Punches: Punch tool is used for punching the sheets to form an impression.
• Chisels: Chisels are used for engraving metal sheets.
• Grinding Stone: This stone is used for sharpening the tools.
• Forge: This tool is used for heating the metal sheets.