Charkha spinning is a wood craft used for spinning threads and yarns. Wood is purchased from forest department of Bageshwar which is abundantly available. In the earlier days “Toon wood” was used to make Charkha. But at the present “Pine tree” wood (cheer Ki lakdi called in local language) is used to make spinning wheel.
Wood is cut by the machine called Panchakki, practiced from their ancestors. The machine Panchakki (automated wood cutting machine) is operated by locally generated power which is done by water flow. The process of generating energy is very traditional and practiced from many generations.
List of Tools and Raw Material Used:
1. Wood-the basic raw material for charkha making.
2. Panchakki machine-the wood cutting machine.
3. L shaped tool-helps in measuring and marking wood.
4. Chisels (pateshi)- used in shaping the wood.
5. Hammer (Basula)- is done to give required shape.
6. Color- used for dyeing charkha.
7. Gaze- edges of wood are given even/smooth shape using gauge.
8. Saw machine- helps in cutting the thick wood to required shape.