The overall process can be divided into six different parts and each and every part is done by one craftsman. This helps in maintaining the quality of work, as each craftsman specialized in his work and had experience over a period of time. However there are also craftsmen who are good in doing all the process alone.
The Process includes:
• First, the design of the art piece is finalized and drawn on a paper and colors are marked on the drawing.
• Then small sections are traced on separate papers and used as stencils to stick on wood and then is cut by following the outline with the help of a hex saw.
• Once the cutting work is finished the pieces of various colored wood are arranged by referring to the initial drawing then stuck together by using PVA Glue.
• The work piece is scratched using a chisel and then rubbed using several grades of flint papers in order to bring all the pieces to the same level.
• Then the carpentry jobs of the work piece are carried out wherever that is required like joining different parts together.
• Fine grooves are made using a chisel to give detailing.
• A mixture of molten wax and charcoal is applied to the surface of the work piece by a brush made of cloth and then scrapped by a chisel. So the wax remains in the groves and rest of the surface remains clean.
• Final finishing is done to obtain a finished wood inlay painting.