Dates and submissions:
Final Submission date: Week 5
You need to choose a complex problem area to solve.
You could select from the below mentioned topics or choose your own topic
The aim of this Systems Design Project is to research, understand, visualize, synthesize and design for problems from socio-economic-cultural-political-technology-sustainability perspectives that are complex, uncertain, interconnected and form a system within defined boundaries.
Suggestions for Design Process:
- You could follow this as a process for design: a combination of ‘Systems Thinking’ and ‘Design Thinking/Process’ methods
- You could use ‘Mapping’ as a tool for understanding the relationships and the interconnectedness between the different elements, components, issues, behaviors, environments. Ex – Giga Maps, Cluster/Nodal Mapping, Circular Mapping, etc.
- Framing your problem Space:
a. Identify the system boundary (what you include inside the system and what you keep in the environment)
b. Identifying the various perspectives (individuals, user groups, stakeholders, behaviours, environment, culture, etc).
c. Identifying the various parts(entities) and subparts (elements/module/attributes).
d. Identifying how the parts connect to the whole
e. Identifying the relationships that exist and binds the parts together
f. How is the system revealed at the holistic level by interconnecting the parts
Suggested Problem Areas to Solve:
• Alternate Urban Transportation System
• Sharable Cycle System
• Household Waste management System
• Mobility System for People with Disability
• Rainwater harvesting systems
• Sustainable Home Systems
• Signage and Wayfinding Systems for India
• Green and Smart Home Systems
• Multi-lingual Typography system for India
• Sharable Cycle System
• Maternity Care System
• Mental Health Care System
• Cold-Chain Systems
• Medicine tracking and Distribution System
• Flexible Layout System for Bilingual Magazine
• Grid System for pattern Making
based on your presentation + report submissions every week and the Final Presentation and the final report submissions
Week 1: Presentation Slides + Report Submission (15%)
Week 2: Presentation Slides + Report Submission (15%)
Week 3: Presentation Slides + Report Submission (15%)
Week 4: Presentation Slides + Report Submission (15%)
Week 5: Final Presentation Slides + Final Presentation Video + Final Report Submission (40%)