Jump to navigation
The tools and raw materials that are used for Silk Saree Weaving are as follows:
• Raw Silk: It is generally brought from Bengaluru of Karnataka.
• Silk Winding Machine: It is used to twist and wind the silk yarn.
• Firewood: It is used to heat the dyeing vessel.
• Brass Vessel: It is generally preferred for colouring the silk yarns at Arani.
• Cement Water Tank: It is used to store water for colouring of the silk yarns.
• Steel Rods: It is generally used to hold the silk yarns for colouring purpose.
• Handloom: It is generally preferred for the silk saree weaving at Arani.
• Gondhu Pasai (local gum): It is mixed with water to form a paste to apply on the saree.
• Soap: Soap that is locally made is generally preferred for the boil off of silk yarns before colouring.
• Fly Shuttle: It is generally used to insert the yarns for weaving.
• Plastic Pirns: It is used for winding the yarns for weaving.
• Rubber Tubes and Plastic Covers: It is used to tie tightly the yarns as per the body and the pallu parts for colouring process.
• Basin of Water: It is used to immerse the winded silk yarns before warping process.
• Zari Threads: It is generally used for the designs and borders to be highlighted.
• A cloth Bag with Sand: It is used to balance the movement of the yarns for weaving.