The traditional Thanjavur art plate is done by using various raw materials. Basic raw materials are copper, brass, bronze and silver. Base plate is made out of brass sheets, thin copper sheets and silver sheets. Asphalt is required for the base board. Glue is used for fixing the embossed metal motifs. Soapnut powder (locally called as shikakai) and tamarind paste is used for washing purpose.
List of other tools:
- Hammers used for hammering.
- Chisels used for chiseling.
- Compass used for measurement.
- Weight is used to place on the plate.
- Coal used as fuel.
- Cutting plair is used to cut/hold the metal.
- Needle is used while working with the metal beads.
- Forcep- metal holders used to carry the hot metal objects.
- Bhatti- furnace.
- A square metal solid box with grooves used to create metal circular beads used for decoration.
- Brush made of coir is used while cleaning the metal plate.