Sikki grass is grown in the wet and marshy area around the rivers and pounds in Gop. The sikki is characterized by its wonderful beautiful golden color, so it is also called Golden Grass. It is grown in the area of heavy rainfall. This golden grass is usually collected in the rainy season. The dry grass is sold at the local market by the foot. Munj (another grass) and khar are other important raw materials for the making of golden grass products. Munj is much cheaper and more abundant and so, it’s used to give basic shape and strength in golden grass products. Other raw materials are the colors and are easily available in the local market. The last and most valuable raw material is water, which is used to soak the golden grass and make it more pliable as it is coiled around the munj.
Following are the tools and raw materials used for the process of golden grass craft:
• Sikki (Golden) Grass: It’s grown in wet and marshy area around the rivers & pounds.
• Munj: Its another type of grass that’s used to develop a shape.
• Khar: Other important raw materials for the making of golden grass products.
• Chemical Colors: Its used for dyeing of golden grass. (It is also colored into different shades of colors like red, yellow, green, deep blue, purple, and pink, etc.)
• Water: which is used to soak the golden grass.
• Needle: A 5-6 inches long needle-shaped iron object with a rounded head for grip.
• Knife: Its used for slitting the grass to extract excess amount of pieces.
• Scissors: Its used for cutting the golden grass.
• Twine: Its used to pierce the needle for stitching the craft.
• Takua: It is used carefully to cut the golden grass.
• Blade: Its used to slice off the grass.