Different types of tools and raw materials are used for making the Kinnal craft. Play wood and teak wood are used as a base for making the craft. The brushes used for painting are made of squirrel’s tail hair, which are basically used more than other brushes because of softness of hair. The raw materials and tools are available in the local market. Gum/adhesives made from natural ingredients is used in the making process, which is extracted from Neem tree (locally called Bevina Mara) and rubber tree (locally called Jalli Mara). Poster and enamel colors are used for the painting.
List of tools and raw material used in Kinnal craft:-
• Chalk Powder: The mixture is used to make the gesso work.
• Sand Paper: Help to smoothen the surface.
• Silver Foil: It is pasted on the embossed design.
• Paints: Enamel and poster paints are used in Kinnal craft.
• Wood: It is used as a primary material on which the art work is done.
• Zinc Powder: Paint is obtained from zinc powder which is applied on thavra work.
• Stone Tool: It is used to rub the thavra work and make the surface.
• Yellow Colour (Chemical Colour): It is used to obtain the gold colour.
• Brushes: Different sizes of brushes are used as per the design to be painted.
• Varnish: Varnish is applied on the painting to give shine and luster to the final product.
• Wood Polish: It is used to mix with the yellow powder for obtaining the gold colour.
• Adhesive: It is used to paste the silver foil on the embossing.
• Divider: The instrument is used for marking on wood.
• Scale: Helps to measure the lines to be drawn as per the required sketches.