The museum was started in 1959, by the then director of the Gurukul - Swami Omanand.
The institute is now home to a big museum housing coins of different periods and regions, terracota-work unearthed from various places in India, stone and sculpture work and other old collections done by people in personal capacity.
The museum now houses a lot of valuable antiques. The most famous is the rare terracota figurine, with Valmiki’s Ramayana inscribed on it in Brahmi. The museum has become one of the biggest in Haryana in terms of the number of items. Haryana government in 2014, decided to convert it into a government museum, but after the government change in 2015, the plan was put on backseat.