In Sagara, wood artisans mainly use sandalwood to make idols and other decorative articles. Due to non- availability of sandalwood, artisans shifted to rose and teak wood carving. However production of sandalwood carving is still in practice as the sandalwood is supplied by government for subsidized price. Other varieties of wood like rose, teak are also used for the production of many idols and decorative items. Artificial roses made of colored papers are used to decorate sandalwood garlands.
List of Tools:
• Sketch of the product is drawn on plain paper and used for tracing design.
• Wooden mallet.
• Different types of carving chisels.
• Automated hand drilling machine to carve minute detailing.
• Needle is used while stitching sandalwood garlands.
• Scooping tool is used to remove the extra wood while carving.