Following are the tools and raw materials required for the carving on the soft stone:
• Soft Stone: It is generally preferred for carving out the idols.
• Chisels: Different types of chisels like flat, pointed, claw and toothed are generally preferred to remove out the stone materials.
• Round Files: It is used to sculpt the uneven surface on the surface of the stone.
• Sandpaper: It is used to remove small quantity of materials or to make the surface smoother.
• Marker: Chalk / Charcoal is used to mark the layouts before carving.
• Human Palm Sized Cushions: It is used to give an impact to the stone carving.
• Measuring Tape: It is used to give the depth to which the Idol can be carved out.
• Rifflers/ Rasps: It is used for the last shaping of the stone surface.