The stone is turned into beautiful pieces of sculptures. Different types of traditional tools are used in stone carving process. Sometimes, the automated electric drills are used while making large sculptures. Types of Stone are classified according to the texture and nature of the stone. The carving technique varies as per the texture. Rough granite stone is carved with heavy chisels, hammers and with automated tools. But for soft texture soapstone is easily carved by scooping.
Stones available in Mahabalipuram:
1. Black granite.
2. Red granite.
3. White Granite.
List and Details of Tools and Materials:
1. Boiling water and chemical: These are used to treat the stone as it whitens outer texture of granite stone.
2. Chisels: Wide edged and point edged chisels- ‘Uli’ are used to carve the stone.
3. Hammer: It is used for hammering.
4. Sand paper: It is used to polish the surface of the stone.
5. Red oxide solution: The stencils are drawn on the surface of the stone using red oxide solution, before carving.
6. Palamunai uli: Chisel used to level the surface of the stone.
7. Water: Water is sprinkled continuously to avoid heat generation.
8. Oil: It is applied to the stone as it gives characteristic black color and smoother surface.
9. Cutting Machine: Different types of automated cutting machines are used to cut the bigger stone blocks.
10. Scales: These are used for measurement.