Warangal was the capital of glorious Hindu Shaivite Kakatiya dynasty, which ruled this region from 11th to 14th centaury A.D. They were the Telugu rulers who ruled over a large region of land that included Golconda region. Kakatiyas derived their name from their family deity, Goddess Kakati or Durga. They were the most creative genius in the field of architecture, literature and engineering techniques, which hold their grandeur in the form of ruins that lie scattered in clad in striking solemnity, today.
Some of the evidence gathered from the inscriptions on Warangal has proposed that ‘Kakatipura’ is the alternative name for Warangal before 12th centaury, from which the Kakatiya dynasty might have got its name. This city finds its name mentioned in the travel diaries of Marco Polo, the famed Italian traveler, who speaks about Warangal that reflect the cultural and administrative excellence during the time of Kakatiyas. The rulers of Kakatiya dynasty were the great warriors who ruled this region for about 200 years. They were the patrons of the arts and have left the heritage of their times in their ancient capital and its surroundings. These Kakatiya kings were the great builders during which the Chalukyan style of architecture reached its zenith of its glory.
Prola Raja of the Kakatiya dynasty was believed to have been discovered Warangal in 12th centaury AD. It is also identified as Worakalli, the capital of the Adeva Rajas of Tuluva Andhra in 8th century. In ancient times Warangal was also known as Omtikonda / Ekasilanagaram / Orugallu in Tamil, while ‘oru’ stood for ‘one’ and ‘gallu’ as ‘stone’, due to the presence of the gigantic hillock that is evidently carved out of single stone. It is believed that Prola Raja was behind the construction of this beautiful picturesque city. Ganapati Deva who was the successor of Prola Raja ruled for 60 years (1200-1262) and made great patron for arts and continued the tradition of scholarly achievements and prospered, as the most noticeable renowned structures like Warangal fort and the temples were built in his time. Later, Rudradeva the commander-in-chief of Ganapati Deva held the temporary charge of the kingdom for his master. He was later rewarded with the large tract of land for his heroism and loyalty from Ganapathi Deva at Palampet, which is 60km to north of Warangal. Rudradeva, the first sovereign ruler constructed the magnificent thousand-pillar temple in his time. After the ruling of Ganapathi deva, his daughter Rudrama Devi took in-charge of the territory and completed the construction, which were started during the reign of his father Ganapathi Deva. Later Prataparudra II succeeded his grandmother Rudrama Devi and ruled for fifty years. During his time he divided the kingdom into 75 Nayakships, which (Warangal) was later conquered by Tughlaqs of Delhi ultimately. The invading army of Tughlaqs plundered the land of priceless art treasures due to which Warangal lost its glory after the reign of Kakatiyas.