In the previous module of Handmade Type (Part 1) we touched on various topics like the medium, playing with it, understanding the form and exploring everyday materials etc. This module takes us a step further in making a handmade font.
Accidents, mistakes, unexpectedness that occur by chance and a new viewpoint becomes a creative choice for the designer. Slowly there is a demand for a type collection that can communicate content in such a way that the message is directly understood, thus offering some room for play.
The idea is to take a word, understand its meaning and getting inspired from that meaning, create an entire font. The word, the visuals and images you associate with it and the meaning all have to come into play while creating the type.
• How crazy can you get while creating?
• Does it have to be readable?
• Do we really need to have any limits while considering the space and size of the type?
• How many mediums and materials can you think of, while visualizing the word?
• Can you find a totally new way of using these objects/materials?
These are some questions that should be asked before beginning to ideate.
Let's see how students have explored the word OopS! going on to create an unthought of font.